WHAT IS CELLULITE?
Our body comprises of various tissues in which connective tissue is responsible for giving an appearance to our body and our organs. In the long run due to certain factors, the connective tissue loses its elasticity causing our skin to have a crushed and saggy image which is what we refer to as CELLULITE. Although a harmless condition, women are often bothered by the appearance of cellulite because it makes them feel self-conscious especially when they are on the beach!
WHAT CAUSES CELLULITE?
A common myth about cellulite is that it is only caused due to obesity or inactivity, but even the fittest person with the perfect body can have cellulite. The causes of cellulite vary from increasing age, hormonal changes, decreased metabolism and genetics to crash diets, increasing body fat and lesser physical activity.
Since cellulite is not entirely caused due to obesity, it cannot always be prevented with proper diet and exercise, but cellulite can be reduced to a large extent with a balanced, low-fat diet and a proper workout regime.
TIPS TO PREVENT AND GET RID OF CELLULITE
Embracing a diet rich in Vitamin A and Vitamin C helps to reduce cellulite because these vitamins are responsible for increasing the production of a protein called collagen in our body which maintains the elasticity of our skin and tissues.
- Consuming lots of colored fruits and vegetables like papaya, berries, oranges, kiwi, pumpkins, carrots, spinach along with eggs, meat and dairy products help to maintain skin elasticity and reduce cellulite.
- Vitamin E is the key ingredient in many skin creams and cellulite reducing lotions due to their antioxidant properties. Vitamin E can be taken as a supplement or can be had in their dietary form from green leafy vegetables, salmon, sunflower seeds, and avocados.
- Though fat intake needs to be minimal, eating oily fish, like salmon and mackerel, and consuming nuts is encouraged because they contain fatty acids which help to lose cellulite.
- Diuretic foods are said to reduce cellulite from the body by eliminating excess fluid through the urine. Some of the popular diuretic foods are lemon, cucumber, celery, beets, eggplant and cabbage.
- The diet plan becomes efficient when it is followed by a suitable workout program. Cellulite occurs mostly in the lower part of the body which is why cycling, jogging, aerobics, swimming, squats, lunges and kickboxing are the best moves to keep the abdomen, thighs and hips toned and to improve blood circulation.